Friday, November 13, 2009

Get Some Garnacha


The unexpected happens everday, just not to us. At least, that's what makes it unexpected. But things happen. I was in a store, and saw a wine. The wine was from Spain, and I had never had a wine from Spain before. It also was from a grape veriety I had never had before, called Garnacha, from a region called
Carinena. It turns out that Garnacha is a grape that is most commonly blended with other grapes to create wines, but in this bottle, labeled "ia" it was the star. I tried it. I liked it.
It was a little strong on the alcohol, and the fruit flavor of black berry was a subtle after affect. It was good, just new and different, and it seemed to get better as I drank it. That might have been because it had a definite kick to it, but it was nice either way, and it was smooth on the palate.  Without a whole lot of tannins, it was easy to drink, and I thought it was a very good wine, more of a spirit in some sense, but not at all confused as anything but a wine. The grape Garnacha is a grape that is known to be intense in alcohol, though lacking in color, and somewhat difficult to grow. It grows slowly, and is used for its high alcohol content easy mixture. I recommend this wine as a nice change of pace, and give it three and a half garlics.

No comments:

Post a Comment